Bridget's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 21 January, 2020 - 08:44

On February 19, 2019 my horse Mac, who’s in his mid-20s, refused to eat his breakfast – which rang alarm bells, especially as two ponies had already been taken ill at the yard with ’flu-type symptoms. His temperature had been normal in the preceding days, but suddenly it shot up, so the vet was called. His diagnosis, for both Mac and the other ill ponies? Strangles.

Hartpury's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 12 July, 2019 - 09:35

A student livery horse arrived at the beginning of term that had followed the Yard biosecurity protocol, which included a negative strangles test result within three weeks of arriving, a normal temperature and no clinical signs.

Katie's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 27 June, 2019 - 12:37

Albie came in from the field in the morning with what just looked like a bit of a dirty nose. As we’d had the scare prior to this I didn’t want to take any chances so I took his temperature straight away to see if there was any sign of infection. His temperature was very high for him, his normal is around 37.4 and that evening it was 38.9.

Despite the temperature, he seemed pretty happy in himself. I then gave him his dinner, and as he put his head down all of the nasal discharge started to drip out, so I called the vet immediately and had an emergency call out that evening.

Michelle's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 9 January, 2019 - 14:32

After keeping Thomas alone for eighteen months I lost my grazing and had to move to a livery yard. Five weeks in, one evening I pushed Thomas out the way whilst mucking out & as I pressed against the side of his cheek, was shocked to feel how hot it was. Thomas was still eating, did not have a temperature, was not coughing, nor did he have any nasal discharge.  I made a mental note to keep an eye on this hot patch. The next evening it had enlarged so the vet was called to visit the following day. She came and diagnosed a tooth abscess. The swelling got bigger!

Christine's story

Submitted by Andie Vilela on 12 November, 2018 - 09:58

It started with a new mare being brought onto the yard with a view to being sold on a few days later. When the prospective purchasers arrived with their vet, he said he suspected strangles, the mare was slightly off her food and on examination had a swelling in her throat.

Our vet was called out and the diagosis was confirmed, and the yard was put into quarantine. the owner of the mare, myself and one other owner were the only people to come into the yard over the next six weeks,

Food and hay was delivered to the yard gate and had to be carried, pushed up the drive way.

Ben's story

Submitted by Andie Vilela on 8 November, 2018 - 11:43

Our livery yard had a strangles outbreak just a few months after we set up the business. It was a really tough time. But the vet was great and we got quarantine set up really quickly so that only two horses on the site were ill. The second horse to get strangles was very sick, it was really sad to see.

Kezia's story

Submitted by Andie Vilela on 8 November, 2018 - 11:30

I bought Roo in 2012 and have loved her to bits from day 1. She's got loads of character and we're really close.