Julia and Molly's Story

Submitted by Andie Vilela on 11 May, 2020 - 16:24

I will never forget being a spectator at Burnham Market horse trials in April 2018 when my yard manager rang to say there was a suspected case of strangles on the yard and we were in lock down. I wanted the ground to swallow me up right there, I reassured myself that I wasn’t wearing anything that had been at the yard so I was no potential risk to all those world class horses around, but felt so sick!

Debbie's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 5 May, 2020 - 11:17

It was a rubbish year. We had lost my horse to Atypical Myopathy and come close to losing my son's. We moved to a new yard and  bought a new horse who about 12 days later had a slight cough when ridden and a small nasal discharge. The vet thought it was another respiratory bug but swabbed to be safe. By the time we got the results he was fine. Our 2 were in a field away from the others so they stayed there and the rest of the yard stayed in. The horse that recovered from AM got it but had no symptoms.

Angie's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 27 April, 2020 - 13:04

I moved yards on 21st December 2019 with my 20 year old Irish Draught Cross, Annie and 7 year old Gypsy Cob, Cody.  Excited at having both my horses together for the first time (they’d lived in separate herds at my previous yard), I had chosen a miniature Shetland foal the previous month to join them and eagerly collected her two days later on 23rd December.  Unfortunately though, Bunty bought me an unwanted Christmas present in the form of Strangles.

Bridget's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 21 January, 2020 - 08:44

On February 19, 2019 my horse Mac, who’s in his mid-20s, refused to eat his breakfast – which rang alarm bells, especially as two ponies had already been taken ill at the yard with ’flu-type symptoms. His temperature had been normal in the preceding days, but suddenly it shot up, so the vet was called. His diagnosis, for both Mac and the other ill ponies? Strangles.

Hartpury's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 12 July, 2019 - 09:35

A student livery horse arrived at the beginning of term that had followed the Yard biosecurity protocol, which included a negative strangles test result within three weeks of arriving, a normal temperature and no clinical signs.

Katie's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 27 June, 2019 - 12:37

Albie came in from the field in the morning with what just looked like a bit of a dirty nose. As we’d had the scare prior to this I didn’t want to take any chances so I took his temperature straight away to see if there was any sign of infection. His temperature was very high for him, his normal is around 37.4 and that evening it was 38.9.

Michelle's story

Submitted by Helen Whitelegg on 9 January, 2019 - 14:32

After keeping Thomas alone for eighteen months I lost my grazing and had to move to a livery yard. Five weeks in, one evening I pushed Thomas out of the way whilst mucking out & as I pressed against the side of his cheek, was shocked to feel how hot it was. Thomas was still eating, did not have a temperature, was not coughing, nor did he have any nasal discharge.  I made a mental note to keep an eye on this hot patch. The next evening it had enlarged so the vet was called to visit the following day.